Es doctor en Ciencias de Alimentos, Investigador del Departamento de agricultura de los Estados Unidos. Servicio de Investigación Agrícola. Es presidente de la Sección del Norte de California de AACC-Internacional.
● Ph.D. Food Science, Washington State University (WSU), Pullman, WA; M.S. Food Science and Animal Nutrition, INCAP, Guatemala; B.S. Agricultural Engineering, National University of Nicaragua, Managua, Nicaragua.
HIGHLIGHTS OF QUALIFICATIONS AND CONTRIBUTIONS
● Research Food Scientists with 25 years of combined experience in the applied and basic research fields of Food Science and Agriculture. Leader of food processing program at the USDA-ARS-Western Regional Research Center, with emphasis in extrusion processing technology. Dr. Berrios’ research focus on developing novel processes and formulations from legumes, cereals, proteins, starches, and by-products of grain, fruits and vegetables, to scientifically create new value-added foods in the form of snacks, pasta, beverages, high protein and dietary fiber, gluten-free products with optimized nutritional and functional properties and desirable sensory attributes
● Author and co-author of more than 100 publications, including book chapters, patent applications and abstracts; reviewer for more than 40 major national and international journals; invited speaker to more than 100 international and national conferences and symposia.
● Adviser/Collaborator for major food US and International companies, research organizations and universities.
· Institute of Food Technologists. Chicago, IL.
· American Association of Cereal Chemists International. St. Paul, MN.
· Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS),
Santa Cruz, CA.
· The Italo-Latin American, Asian and African Society of Ethnomedicine (SILAE). Italy.
SELECTED HONORS AND AWARDS
· Program Chair of the Northern California Section of AACC-International.
· Ad Honorem Professor: University of Puerto Rico (Mayaguez).
· Member of the Whole Pulse Expert Advisory Committee for the Pulse Innovation Project of Canada.
· United Kingdom - INCAP Scholarship, University of Guatemala.